Saturday, July 24, 2010

Radical

I've started reading David Platt's book, Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream. The information and ideas that he has incorporated in this book are blowing my socks off. Most of them are pretty obvious (well, they should be, anyway) and biblical, but it's nice to be reminded every now and again. Especially since I live in a country that revolves its success rate on how much money you have and, in church, how many children and nice clothes you have. I've been reading just a chapter a day because I want to fully understand what he is saying. Today, I read chapter 4: The Great Why of God: God's Global Purpose From the Beginning to Today and I won't be able to sleep until I've written out my thoughts on this.

The whole point of the chapter is to help us realize that our lives are meant to reflect the glory of God to other people, to ALL people. God gives His grace to us only so He can be glorified. Platt starts off this chapter with a story of him and his wife being invited to preach at a church about their inner-city ministry in New Orleans. Then he proceeds to tell them about other opportunities. Here is an excerpt:
"Then I told them about ministry opportunities God had recently given me around the world. I told them about people's receptivity to the gospel in places that are traditionally hostile to Christianity. I told them that, whether in the inner city or over-seas, God was drawing people to himself in some of the toughest areas of the world.
Expecting them to share in my excitement, I paused to listen for their response. After an awkward silence, one of the deacons leaned forward in his chair, looked at me, and said, 'David, I think it's great you are going to those places. But if you ask me, I would just as soon God annihilate all those people and send them to hell.'
That's exactly what he said. I was shocked and speechless. I had no idea what to say in response. I wish I had said something, but I'm still not sure what I would have said. Annihilate them? Send them to hell?
After a moment of silence, the rest of the room resumed conversation as if nothing out of the ordinary had just happened."
What? This breaks my heart, and yet, is so true. I have, unfortunately, experienced this kind of attitude in a church body. Nothing tears me down more physically and emotionally than this kind of hatred towards mankind. We were created to be images of God. All of us. Yes, we are all sinners, but we also have a choice to receive grace so we can glorify this great God. We have no right to take that opportunity away from anyone.

The next part of this chapter that really struck me is these next couple of paragraphs. I was reading it this morning at The Coffee Ethic and wished I had someone to talk to about it to calm me down from the excitement of reading these words. It was so hard for me to just sit there in my chair peacefully without drawing attention to myself. Then again, maybe that was God's goal and I missed it? Anyway, Platt goes on to talk about being called into missions. He says that we are all commanded, not called to go and tell people about Jesus. (Now, there are deeper callings that are specific to each individual, but I'm talking about just having a willing heart to drop everything in this American life and go wherever God tells you to go whether it be Russia or Des Moines, Iowa.) Here is the next excerpt:
"In all this missions talk, you may begin to think, 'Well, surely you're not suggesting that we're all supposed to move overseas.' That is certainly not what I'm suggesting (thought I'm not completely ruling it out!). But this is precisely the problem. We have created the idea that if you have a heart for the world and you are passionate about global missions, then you move overseas. But if you have a heart for the United States and you are not passionate about global mission, then you stay here and support those who go. Meanwhile, flying right in the face of this idea is Scripture's claim that regardless of where we live - here or overseas - our hearts should be consumed with making the glory of God known in all nations.
I know there are probably some folks in the church I pastor who wouldn't mind if I left and lived in another nation. I say this kiddingly (I hope!), but, after all, isn't that where people who are passionate about the world go? But this is exactly why the church I pastor is stuck with me (as long as they'll have me). Because from cover to cover the Bible teaches that all the church - not just select individuals, but all the church - is created to reflect all the glory of God to all the world. Because every single man, woman, and child in the church I pastor is intended to impact nations for the glory of Christ, and there is a God-designed way for us to live our lives here, and do church here, for the sake of people around the world, who don't know Christ."
 Um, wow. Yes, church, we need to have a passion for ALL of the world. Not just our own country or city, but all of the nations. I rejoice because God has filled my heart with compassion for all people that I only wish I could do more. I do mess up and wish people weren't ever around me because we just do and say foolish things, but ultimately, I love God's creation. He is brilliant and we could never duplicate what He has designed.

To end this, I hope whoever reads this will just think twice before talking bad about the man/woman in Wal-mart that doesn't have the right kind of clothes on or the homeless man/woman that smells funny. God wants you to love them and show them His grace so that He. Will. Be. Glorified.

Elaina <><

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
~2 Corinthians 3:17-18

1 comment:

  1. Hey, next time you are in The Coffee Ethic itching to tell someone about something you've read. You can always talk to me! :)

    ReplyDelete