Tuesday, July 15, 2014

New Life Perspective

Today marks the 3 year anniversary since I heard the words, "you have rheumatoid arthritis." Let me tell you, my life has changed...dramatically. I went from working about 30 hours a week as a barista and as a full time youth pastor's wife in 2011 to working a full time desk job and a wife of a "Culligan Man." Don't get me wrong, working a desk job and being the wife of a Culligan Man are wonderful things. I just never pictured myself as working a desk job. My life was everything that I wanted it to be. My dream was to be a full time youth pastor's wife and to work in a coffee shop. All was well. But, then, I guess things needed to be shaken up a bit.

I won't go into too many details about how I walked through these past three years of dealing with all of the struggles that come with an autoimmune disease: the pain, emotional highs and lows, fatigue, stress, evaporating friendships, etc. I want this post to focus on what I have learned from having a disease that has no cure.

I have learned that people will amaze you. The thing that I have remembered the most from these past 3+ years of struggle is the people that stuck with me through the thick and thin. Especially my husband!! He has been my number one helper and has given selflessly to help me on my good days and on my bad days without any complaint. I love him so much for that. He does so much for me and loves me unconditionally. I don't express that enough! God gave me the best gift when he gave me Brock Kennedy!

I remember you as well, my amazing friends. The countless times that you would offer to drive me somewhere when I was "out of spoons for the day" so that I could hang out and have community even though I felt (and still feel sometimes) that this disease has separated me from the "normal" world. I remember each time that you have prayed for me. God has used you in so many ways to encourage me and show me that this is not the end of the world! Rheumatoid Disease will not defeat me! You have shown me that my God is bigger than that!

Folks, the struggle is real. I try not to complain, but sometimes it just comes out. I ask for grace when this happens. Life is hard. As I type this, I'm struggling with a flare in my thumb and a ridiculous headache from my meds! That is no reason for me to stop living my life.

Anyway, this post definitely is not everything that I have to say, but I'm in a hurry to meet a couple of those amazing friends that have been there for me for some coffee. :) Consider this a thank you to those that have walked this new journey with me. Thank you for helping me to see this challenge from a different perspective. I love you all and appreciate you so very much!

Elaina

P.S. Please forgive any grammar/spelling errors. I'm not proofreading before I post. *woops*

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing and an inspiration!!! I am so glad to be a friend (even though I'm far away now)! :)

    ReplyDelete